This is the second in a series of posts reviewing excerpts of the 2018 Big Broadcast Survey (BBS) and the first such post about how the brands of technology suppliers were ranked by respondents to the 2018 BBS.
Each year as part of the Big Broadcast Survey (BBS), a global sample of media professionals are asked to rank their opinion of media technology supplier’s brands on a wide range of metrics. This information is used to create a series of reports, which enable these technology suppliers to understand their competitive position in the market.
For the 2018 Big Broadcast Survey, more than 100 technology suppliers were profiled across 28 individual product categories.
The focus of this post is how technology suppliers were ranked by respondents in terms of their overall opinion of these suppliers. Research participants were asked to rank their “overall opinion” of technology suppliers on a scale of 1-10 — with 10 being best in the market, and 1 being worst in the market.
Please note only technology purchasers and end-users responses where included in the opinion scores, as opposed to other technology suppliers or industry observers. Also, the inclusion of any brand in the tables in this article is dependent on available sample size. It is possible that a highly regarded brand was excluded from these findings based on sample size.
Results are shown in two ways:
- An overall industry “league table” that shows the 30 highest ranked suppliers for the metric “overall opinion.” The data in this chart is broken out globally and regionally.
- An analysis of the “frequency” of appearance in the “overall opinion league table”
The top 30 ranked brands for overall opinion are shown below for both the global sample of all respondents as well as for all respondents in each of the geographic regions.
In all cases these results are shown in alphabetical order, NOT in the order in which they were ranked by respondents to the survey.
A total of 53 technology supplier brands are included in the above table. The relatively large number of brands illustrates the variation in customer opinions across the geographic segmentation of respondents.
The frequency of brand appearance in the above geographic categories breakdowns as follows,
- 11 brands ranked in the top 30 of all four categories – Global, EMEA, Asia Pacific, and Americas
- Adobe, AKG, Avid, Canon, Cisco, JBL, Rohde & Schwarz, Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, Tektronix
- 11 brand ranked in three of the four categories
- AJA Video, Apple, ARRI, Audio-Technica, Genelec, Grass Valley, Ikegami, Neumann, Panasonic, Phabrix, Riedel
- 12 brand ranked in two of the four categories
- Arista, Clear-Com, Dolby, Electro-Voice, EVS, Lawo, Rode, RTS Intercom Systems, Schoeps, Studer, Teradek, Yamaha
- 19 brands ranked in just one of the four categories
- Ableton, Allen & Heath, Aspera, AWS Elemental, Axon, beyerdynamic, Calrec, Digico, GatesAir, Harmonic, Hitachi, Imagine Communications, IneoQuest, Leader, Nevion, Ross Video, SAM, Solid State Logic (SSL), Vizrt
Frequency Analysis of the Brands in the in the 2018 BBS Overall Brand Opinion League Table:
The table below depicts the global and regional performance for each brand in the top 30 ranking of overall opinion. It provides a better understanding of where each brand was highly ranked for overall opinion.
The frequency chart shows some interesting geographic variation in the data.
Appearing in the top 30 “overall opinion” ranking globally, but no individual region
Calrec is the only brand having managed to achieve a top 30 ranking globally without registering in the top 30 of any region.
Appearing in the top 30 “overall opinion” ranking globally + one region
Nine brands managed to achieve a top 30 ranking globally, despite being in the top 30 of only one of the three geographic regions. Those brands were Arista, Clear-Com, Dolby, Electro-Voice, RTS Intercom Systems, Schoeps, Studer, Teradek, and Yamaha.
Appearing in the top 30 “overall opinion” ranking in one region
The following 18 brands did not make the top 30 in the global league table of overall opinion, but they did appear in the top 30 overall opinion ranking in one of the geographic regions:
- Ableton, Allen & Heath, Aspera, AWS Elemental, Axon, beyerdynamic, Digico, GatesAir, Harmonic, Hitachi, Imagine Communications, IneoQuest, Leader, Nevion, Ross Video, SAM, Solid State Logic (SSL), Vizrt
Appearing in the top 30 “overall opinion” ranking only in EMEA
- beyerdynamic, IneoQuest, SAM, Solid State Logic (SSL)
Appearing in the top 30 “overall opinion” ranking only in Asia-Pacific
- Ableton, Axon, Digico, Harmonic, Hitachi, Imagine Communications, Nevion, Vizrt
Appearing in the top 30 “overall opinion” ranking only in the Americas
- Allen & Heath, Aspera, AWS Elemental, GatesAir, Leader, Ross Video
Please keep in mind when reviewing this information that all data in these charts are presented in alphabetical order, not in the order brands were ranked by respondents to the BBS. Also, the charts in this posting measure the responses of all 2018 BBS respondents, regardless of their company type, company size, geographic location, job title and budget for broadcast technology products.
In order to get full value from this data, it is necessary to evaluate these results on a granular basis. If you would like more information, please contact Devoncroft Partners.
The information in this article is based on select findings from the 2018 Big Broadcast Survey (BBS), a global study of broadcast industry trends, technology purchasing plans, and benchmarking of broadcast technology vendor brands. Several thousand broadcast professionals in 100+ countries took part in the 2018 BBS, making it the largest and most comprehensive market study ever conducted in the broadcast industry.
© Devoncroft Partners 2009 – 2018. All Rights Reserved.